From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:30:51 +0000
Peter Ramson writes:

>I would like to know which of the following Rosalyn Tureck recordings
>listmembers prefer:
>
>WTC:
>DG or BBC legends
>
>Goldberg:
>Philips' Great Pianists Edition (Gramophone choice)
>VAI (Penguin choice)
>DG

That's a hard decision between the DG and BBC WTC recordings.  Both
versions are outstanding, but the acoutic is quite different.  The DG
sound is rather warm, while the BBC sound is quite dry and clinical.
It's a matter of warmth vs.  incisiveness.  I have both and believe
that most Trueck fans would want both.

Concerning the Goldbergs, I favor the DG release which has the best
sound of the four Tureck versions on the market and also the CD ROM
program.  The least attractive versions are the two on VAI - the sound
is problematic and the interpretations don't add anything to what the
Philips and DG offer.  I have kept all four versions but rarely play the
VAI recordings.  Why Penguin would choose either of the VAI discs as
Tureck's best is beyond my comprehension.

Don Satz