From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:36:34 +1100
Don Satz responded to the news that Konstantin Scherbakov has recorded
Shostakovich's Op 87:

>Scherbakov sounds familiar; does anyone have an opinion of his
>artistry?

He's also recorded for Naxos the Beethoven Diabelli Variations (which I've
not heard), two CDs of Respighi concertos and other music for piano and
orchestra, and one of solo piano music, the Medtner concertos and piano
quintet, and Scriabin's piano concerto.  I'm underwhelmed by the Scriabin
CD - the recording and the orchestra are both below par - but very much
like the others.  The Respighi and the Medtner especially are relatively
unfamiliar music, so there's little in the way of comparison.  I have a
fairly good recollection of favourable reviews of Scherbakov's playing but
can't quote chapter and verse.  FWIW, I'll certainly be getting the
Shostakovich.

Richard Pennycuick