From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:33:01 -0400
It has been fun reading the suggestions from esteemed list members as to
what the BSO (and by extension other symphonies) should do.  I just want
to add one small piece of data to the discussion.

One of the most innovative things the BSO did this season was to schedule
a concert at an athletic arena in inner city Boston.  As I understand it,
the program was a diverse one but it was definitely not a "pops" concert.
Also, this past Sunday at Symphony Hall saw the sixth (or ninth, I can't
recall which) performance in which the BSO partnered with city wide gospel
choirs in a concert celebration.  The project admittedly began as an
"outreach" effort, but over the years it has grown beyond that and become
a genuine exploration of an American sacred music: musical purists coming
to the perspective that the music is not violated and gospel purists
becoming more comfortable that it is not being over secularized.

PS. For those who will be tuned to PBS on July 4th. I understand that
Maestro Ozawa will be leading the pops in the 1812 Overture.

Ed