From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:18:52 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>In the referenced NewYorker article provided by Janos, Wild not only
>jabs at Lang Lang and Brendel.  He also states that Martha Argerich
>"can't play eight bars in the same tempo".

I believe remarks like those stem from an individual's own insecurities.
The music world is full of talented individuals and it is often chance,
marketing, etc.  that makes one artist a "star" versus another.  Rarely
have I encountered a politician, especially in the midst of a campaign,
making positive remarks about another politician.

That statement about Argerich is absurd.  On the other hand, I am the
sort of listener who prefers an artist who can bring a great deal of
themselves to the playing and often times that will translate into a
less strict interpretation of the printed page.

>Those types of remarks sadden me a little.  I don't think it's becoming
>to insult fellow artists and performers, and nothing favorable can result
>from such statements.  I'll just have to conclude that Wild's music-making
>is more impressive than his vocalizing.

I agree, but as a musician, I have come expect those sorts of statements.
Like politicians, I try to judge not by what they say, but by what they
do.

Karl