From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:44:08 -0800
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Are there any signs in the score that are not there for all to see?

Of course there are.  But the repeat sign is not one of them.

>Where did I mention or even hint at "carte blanche" etc.? - I note that
>Jocelyn has not answered this.

I did, in the quote you included later in the post.

>I was trying to illustrate my strongly-held position that later performers
>inherit responsibilty for decisions that earlier composers can no longer
>make for themselves.

It is no longer necessary for the composers to make such decisions.  They
were already made at the time of composition.  It is the responsibility of
performers to abide by them, not to change the compositional decisions
of the music's originator.

>...  I have never advocated tossing anything aside on a whim, and I do
>not recall Steve Schwartz or anyone else on "my" side of the argument
>suggesting that any score markings should be "tossed aside on a whim".
>I think I detect another straw man here.

It does arise and Steve Schwartz has pretty much advocated an anything-
goes-as-long-as-he likes-it approach and attempts to justify it by calling
it experimentation.  No straw man here.  The practice of completely
ignoring a composer's specific instructions is indeed whimsical-- at best.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic