From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:14:58 -0700
Donald Satz wrote concerning Nielsen:

>I would appreciate it if Dave could tell us the recordings he has heard
>of these works that leave him cold.

I had an LP coupling the Flute and Clarinet concerti with Bernstein
conducting - and featuring first desk members of the NY Phil as soloists.

I was suprised at my reaction to the concerti because I like the symphonies
but just couldn't get connected to the concerti.

Maybe the reason they left me so cold was they sounded so much like the
symphonies, I wondered if Neilsen hadn't gathered up sketches for a
symphony and turned them into concerti.

Neilsen's melodic lines - which seem so right as symphonic themes, sound
trite when played by a solo instrument.

For the Clarinet concerto I have a BBC recording featuring Robert Plane.

Dave Harman