From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:16:56 -0700
Long-time readers will know that I'm a big fan of Czech/Bohemian music
of the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods.  This body of music was
extremely influential in its day, and composers such as Mozart and Haydn,
as well as many others, were profoundly effected by the music of their
Czech contemporaries.

As we have discussed here many times, the day of being able to find
what you want, at a price you are willing to pay, at a traditional retail
outlet are probably numbered.  My favorite chain, Tower Records (I've
visited their stores coast-to-coast over the past 20 years) seems bound and
determined to kill their classical music business by simultaneously raising
prices and drastically decreasing selection.  I don't understand this
business model, but luckily, there are now alternatives.

Though their accounting and customer service are as bad as ever, both
BMG and Columbia House have interesting offerings, especially now that
they carry releases from labels such as Hyperion, Harmonia Mundi, AS&V,
Capriccio, Nimbus, and other independents.  But, in the end, their
selection is extremely limited.  I've used several on-line CD retailers
over the years, including good experiences with CD Connection, Every CD,
CD Universe, and a specialty retailer called Musica Bona.

Music Bona is a classical CD and sheet music shop in Prague that has
taken the ambitious step of putting up a full-function web site.  They
offer an extensive selection of CDs by Czech musicians and/or music
of Czech composers.  They have all the usual suspects from Supraphon
(including some I've never seen in U.S.  stores), Panton, Arta and
less-well-known, or completely unknown in the U.S., Czech labels.  I've now
ordered twice from them, and each time my experience has been outstanding.
They had all the CDs I ordered in stock, and the order typically was filled
within a working day or two.  Each order was sent via registered air mail
- at no charge - and arrived here within 10-12 days of placing the order.

All of this reflects a highly professional arrangement, but I haven't even
mentioned the best part yet.  Tower now wants $16.99 for most Supraphon
releases, and up to $20.99 for Panton.  Musica Bona charges between $9.90
and $12.90 for the same releases.  To top it off, there is no shipping
charge (as I mentioned), no tax, and an additional 10% discount if you
order comes to $100 or more.  Add all of this up, and Musica Bona comes
in at nearly half the price of Tower.

Musica Bona can be reached at two addresses:

    http://www.czechmusic.com/   for access from North America
    http://www.musicabona.cz/    for access from Europe and elsewhere

I highly recommend their services.

My local post office did screw up the delivery of my second order from
them, which resulted in an immediate resend of the order by Musica Bona
when I brought this to their attention.  Soon after they refilled the order
and shipped it a second time, the local post office found the first order
(idiots).  With the cost of shipping so high (~$15 for nine CDs from Prague
to California), I offered to see if I could sell them here instead of
returning them.  So now I have nine CDs to sell at an excellent price.  The
following CDs are available for $10 each plus $1 for postage in the U.S.
(less if you take more than one CD):

Telemann  Sonatas for oboe, viola & bassoon & B.C.  Verner Collegium
    Arta F10015  54:26
Telemann  6 Suites for oboe, violin & harpsichord  Adamus Trio
    Gramofonove zavody Lodenice L10044-2  76:17
Benda, F.  5 Sonatas for violin, cello & harpsichord  Zenaty/Hejny/Tuma
    Arta F10022  57:30
Stamitz, J.V.A. & K.  Quartets & Concertos for Oboe  New Vlach Quartet
    Arta F10016  71:08
Stamitz, J.V.A. & Fils  Flute concertos  Valek/Dvorak Chamber Orchestra/Valek
    Supraphon 111871-2  68:26
Stamitz, J.V.A.  Organ concertos  Vesela/Dvorak Chamber Orchestra/Valek
    Supraphon SU3094-2  67:33
Stamitz, JVA, A & K  Viola cncrtos  Peruska/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Belohlavek
    Panton 811422-2  57:51
Krumpholtz  Harp concertos, vol 1  Bouskova/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Belohlavek
    Clarton CQ0018-2  73:34
Krumpholtz  Harp concertos, vol 2  Bouskova/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Belohlavek
    Clarton CQ0018-2  79:10

All CDs are new, and most are in their original shrink wrap.  Please
contact me directly for more info or to purchase these discs.  I have
no relationship with Musica Bona - I just a satisfied customer.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/