From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:12:19 -0700
Deryk Barker writes that Beecham uses old corrupt versions of Haydn's
symphonies.  Well, glory be!  Even this mono recordings show the masterful
Beecham at his glorious best.  The mono sound is almost undetectable.
The resplendent beauty is immediately grabbing.  It's impossible for me
to listen to these recordings passively, so intensely beautiful they are
with him at the helm.

I agree that the Marriner and Dorati may be more authoritative, but that
in no way diminishes the Beecham.  The others may be technically superior
and more literally accurate, but the grandeur of Beecham is resplendent,
proving once again that great composers can be improved upon by illustrious
conductors.  If I were consigned to an island oasis, it would be with
Beecham before Marriner, Dorati, or Jochum -- all conductors I like.

D. Stephen Heersink