From:
Eric James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:48:10 -0400
Aaron Rabushka wrote Re: the Collegium Aureum recording of Mozart's
Requiem:

>Also, the notes on my copy (BASF LP issue) are explicit about their
>using a completion by someone other than Sussmayr.

I believe it was Franz Beyer who did the completion.  There have been
a number of attempts at "better" versions, always with much denigration
of Franz Suessmayer's efforts.  Robbins Landon's version also seems based
solely on his belief that Mozart dictated something different to one of his
other pupils (Freystaedtler?) I have the Collegium Aureum recording and it
is quite fine, although the boys sound a bit strident.  But for me, this
is one case where I would much prefer the traditional Suessmayer version.
This is what has been handed down to us and all the other versions are
speculation only.  One can clean up Suessmayer's parallel 5ths and 8ths (I
doubt that we would hear the difference) but unless someone finds more
authentic Mozart, I'm happy to stay with the "original"--on period
instruments, of course.

Eric James