From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:36:50 -0400
Joyce Maier wrote:

>The whole ode, as written by Schiller, is a very lengthy and IMHO
>far from impressive (from a poetic point of view) poem.  I even wouldn't
>hesitate to call it a somewhat silly piece of art.  Beethoven used only a
>few stanzas, obviously fitting to his taste, and he added a few words.
>The beginning:
>
>"O Freunde, nicht diese Tone!
>Sondern lasst uns angenehmere anstimmen
>Und freudenvollere!"

Which is another bug in my ear about the whole text.  It might have made
more sense if occurring after the recapitulation of themes from the earlier
movements, but what is its point coming after the the Ode to Joy theme has
been fully stated and even treated to some development? But aside from
that, why are the earlier *Toene* ("tones") less "angenehm" ("pleasant"
or "agreeable")?

Walter Meyer