From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:35:18 +0100
Deryk Barker wrote:

>...  Herbie's early 80-s digital recordings (The Planets, Nielsen 4)
>were some of the nastiest-sounding recordings I've ever heard.  Given
>that he had total control over what was released, I suspect his hearing
>was starting to go.

I haven't heard the CD issue, but the LP of Karajan's Planets contained
an organ contribution in Uranus that was laughable.  Like something out
of "Tom and Jerry".  Karajan had far too much control over his recordings.
John Culshaw maintained that whilst Karajan knew more about recordings
than all of his colleagues, he didn't know as much as he thought he did.

Tony Duggan,
England