From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:29:58 PDT
Jeffrey Hall wrote:

>As a relative newbie to CM (4 years), I listen to very litle Bach.
>I know, I know, this is sacrilege.  But I love melody, and Bach
>just doesn't do it for me (not yet).

Kevin Sutton responded by providing a list of pieces from Bach choral works
and stated:

>These are some of the most gorgeous melodies ever written.

I agree with Kevin.  Most of the list traffic lately concerning Bach has
revolved around his solo works which are relatively austere, deep, and
subtle.  By comparison, Bach's orchestral and choral works are loaded
with great up-front melodies.  Those areas would likely be Jeffrey's
best starting point.

Kevin also mentioned the beauty of Bach's Aria from the Goldberg
Variations.  I agree totally, but even with the Aria, a little patience
is needed to get the full impact.

Speaking of arias, I was listening last night to Herreweghe's St. Matthew
Passion on Harmonia Mundi.  An outstanding performance.  The pacing is just
right, and the dramatic content is delicious.  The only unfortunate aspect
of the production was the use of Barbara Schlick (sp?) as the soprano; I
can't seem to get away from her.  Some of you must enjoy her voice; I'd
appreciate some feedback on the qualities you like in her singing (no, I
won't be critical).

Don Satz