From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 21:59:55 GMT
Dave Mepham writes:

>I find it self-defeating - by buying second hand there is no further
>funds going to record labels (which will get the support from many buyers).

I don't find anything self-defeating about it.  It's all part of
reasonable responses to CD technology.  Since the cd's functionality
continues indefinitely into the future, a used-cd market is perfectly
natural, logical, and very welcome.  It's certainly advantageous for
consumers and retail stores.  Is it negative for the record companies?
Initially it is, but the companies always have the option to enter the
used market themselves.  Record companies can buy out retail chains or go
retail from scratch and luxuriate in the extremely high "used" cd prices.

Technology keeps marching forward, and private companies which do not
keep pace with the changes are in for trouble.  As for me, I buy used
product every now and then when I think it's good for me to do so.  I
have no intention of worrying about any impacts of the used market on
record companies; they can take care of themselves, whether they actually
do so or not.

Don Satz