From:
Brian Hiatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 06:51:46 -0700
David Stewart brings great insight with his thoughts on how we perceive
music and life in general.  It is also a subject I find personally
interesting.

His main insight, I think, is in the way we learn to appreciate CM more as
we become aware of it is structure, nuances, and complexities.  Education
about music theory can help the listener understand the music at a new
level.  However, is this not true for anything that one holds dear? Take
wine for instance.  You can like wine but with practice and over time, you
can learn to discern the small differences between merlots from different
regions of the world and even different areas within an appellation.

This applies well to CM.  Once you start to become familiar with the
structure and complexity of a piece of music you can delve deeper into the
genus behind the creative process.  That does not stop you from, in the
beginning, appreciating a work by Mozart.  It just underscores how, when
you let yourself, you can appreciate his genius at another level.

Any thoughts?

Brian Hiatt <[log in to unmask]>