From:
William Jenks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:02:32 -0600
As a novice, I've not participated in this discussion, though I'll admit
that I have a hard time disputing the notion that repeat markings are
pretty unambiguous statement of the composer's intention.

Having said that, I wonder what the 'literalist' school (e.g., Jocelyn)
says about tempi, when marked unambiguously.  It would seem that this is
another place where the composer's intentions are pretty clear, but some
performers take variance.  What comes to my mind, for example, are the
different tempi taken with some of Beethoven's work.

William