From:
Zeev Schor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:55:20 +0200
As far as I know, Naxos is offering some classical DVD-As but no SACDs.
The German firm MDG (MD&G RECORDS) is offering as well some DVD-A titles.
Until now I have acquired 3 DVD-A discs, the new Handel's Messiah with
Mormon Tabernacle Choir, EMI's Bach's Magnificat with Stephen Cleobury
and the wonderful Ian Bostridge, and MDG's Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741)
Concertos and Chamber Music with Musica Alta Ripa.  All sound very well
on my relatively modest stereo 2-channel equipment which includes the
Pioneer DV-747A (compatible with DVD-A and SaCD) and Audiolab pre- and
amplifier.

I am ordering some classical SACDs to see the difference.

To quote:

   "Ideally, we need a receiver or preamplifier with 6 RCA analog
   inputs, that does not convert the analog signal back to digital
   for internal processing and that supports a dynamic range and
   frequency response comparable with the ultra-high audio
   fidelity possible with DVD-A or SACD.  However, a DVD-Audio
   player can also be used with a 2 channel stereo system.  Many
   DVD-A disks will contain 2 channel PCM stereo tracks and for
   those disks recorded only in multi-channel PCM, the DVD-Audio
   players will downmix the multi-channel recording into stereo".

I have permitted myself to include a table which shows the superiority
of both SACD and DVD- A over CD Stereo.  IMHO there is no doubt that
either DVD-A or SACD will eventually supercede the CD but it will take
a very long time.

 [Table deleted.  It was not in plain text.  -Dave]

"Zeev Schor" <[log in to unmask]>