From:
Bob Yoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:26:48 PDT
Actually, I somewhat disagree.  There are many works I didn't appreciate
until I took theory classes.  I began to see things that I never bothered
to look for and now I wonder why I never saw it before.  For instance, I
didn't enjoy Brahms and Schumann nearly as much until after I got a solid
background in theory.  My analogy is try giving a Fitzgerald, Faulkner,
Joyce, or a Nabokov novel to a 6th or 7th grade.  I certainly wouldn't
have appreciated it then.  It's a combination of education, maturity,
and exposure that affected the degree to which I can enjoy certain works.

Bob Yoon