From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:50:26 -0800
Steve Schwartz wrote:

> Almost all these works come in versions with better sound: David Miller
>on Albany TROY260 leading an all-Mennin program.  You get the bonus of
>the early Fantasia for String Orchestra, but you miss the cello concerto
>with Starker - I believe the only commercial recording ever of this
>piece.  Furthermore, Starker always breathed the air of legend, and I
>consider this one of his finest performances.  It is, thank goodness,
>stereo.  Nevertheless, in the symphonies, the MONO sound from Louisville
>is boxy and dull.  It's your call.

Knowing these recordings well, I agree with Steve's perspective.  I
would, however, like to recommend the Albany recordings of the 5th and
6th Symphonies with David Alan Miller conducting.  I find the Fifth to
be the more attractive piece and the Albany recording is quite excellent.

Sadly, only the rehearsal of a Munch performance of the Fifth Survives.
Based on that rehearsal, the performance must have been a knockout!

Karl