From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:46:11 PST
Charles Dalmas wrote:

>Personally, I think it takes more than just a budget able to afford the
>instruments to be successful at it.  Very few people (Trevor Pinnock and
>the Aston Magna troup come to mind) can do it well.

It's very rare that a period instrument recording I acquire has deficient
instrument playing, and I buy a lot of them.  To me, period instrument
playing quality is as good as I hear from modern instruments - both are
at a very high level.

>Purists, I have found, are more interested in their own narrow views than
>in the betterment of music as a whole (not anyone in particular on the
>list, mind you, just purists in general).

Agreed, but where are these purists to be found? In my little slice of
life, I hardly ever come across a classical music fan, never mind one of
"pure" disposition.

>I've been called a barbarian for liking the Beecham Messiah.  I didn't
>appreciate it.  comments?

I've also been called a barbarian many times; in my case, the title
sticks well (as he spits out a piece of fat from his porterhouse steak).
Seriously, people, in general, need to mind their own business more
readily and be aware that personal preferences are only applicable to the
individual who owns them.  And, also be cognizant that personal perferences
are not objectively developed conclusions.  When people exhibit the "know
it all" condition, I find it best to get the hell away from them.

Don Satz