From:
Drew Capuder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:36:52 -0400
Peter Wisse wrote:

>>I really hate Beethoven.  They should stop playing his music for another
>>25 years or so, maybe one could then make a reappraisal

And Jeremey McMillan:
]
>I graduate from high school Thursday! I will be attended the University of
>Montevallo this summer as a piano major!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremey, congratulations on your graduation, and good luck as a piano
major!  Please play a lot of Beethoven.  Maybe play the Op 54 sonata.
Its not played that much, but I think its a great piece.  Listen to
Richter's recording of it on Phillips.  When you get a bit older, tackle
the late sonatas and explore an emotional and spiritual depth that would
proudly stand next to Rembrandt's great works.  Listen to Richter, Solomon,
Schnabel, Kempff, and others.  Befriend a good pianist and play the
Beethoven violin sonatas.  Move down the hall and say "hello" to a fine
cellist and play the cello sonatas.  Invite the cellist and the violinist
to your house for a party, and start learning the piano trios.  Then learn
the piano concertos (OK, maybe number 2 is not a great prize), and, while
you're at it, learn the Op. 80 choral Fantasia.  Also play the Diabelli
Variations, and find the time to play the Op. 126 bagatelles.

Then, in 25 years, pay a visit to Peter Wisse with your violin and
cello friends (its probably not practical to bring the orchestra, and
conductors can be a pain to schedule).  Tell Peter: "We bring the gifts
of Beethoven." You will already know, after 25 years of playing and loving
Beethoven, that his works are perhaps the greatest achievement in music
history.  Start playing the works for Peter.  You and your friends select
your favorites.  At some point, Peter will probably break down, sobbing,
grieving the loss of the last 25 years.  If he doesn't, then nothing will
reach him.

Drew Capuder