From:
David Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:51:42 -0800
On Saturday night I had the thrill of hearing Jon Kimura Parker play
the Brahms D-minor with the Vancouver Symphony.  It was a powerful and
passionate performance.  Parker possesses not only formidable technique,
but elegant phrasing and a sense of humor as well.  I have heard a number
of fine Brahms Opus 15s over more than fifty years, but I think this was
the most satisfying performance I have heard since 1952 when William
Kapell played it in San Francisco.

Hearing Brahms played with such passion followed only two days after
hearing Arnaldo Cohen perform the Liszt #2 in Seattle.  Cohen is also
an extraordinary virtuoso who was able to make the Liszt sound like fine
music and much more than a show-off number.  It was wonderful and unusual
to hear two such remarkable concerts in the same week.  There must be a
number of these magnificent pianists out there who do not so often get
their names in lights even though they are great musicians.  Treasure
is where you find it.

David Lamb in Seattle