From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:08:57 +0100
Len Fehskens wrote:

>Robert Peters responds to Mike Leghorn:
>
>>>Oh, and how can music be vain or self-centered?
>>>
>>Listen to Liszt and youll know it.
>
>Do you actually know anything about Liszt's life other the mostly false
>stereotypes, or any of his music other than the few "most famous"
>potboilers?

Actually I do. But this list is not an exam but a place for discussion,
isnt it?  I wonder why my dislike of Liszt bothers you so much.  Taste
is free and it is perfectly fine with me when you like Liszt.  I simply
do not like Liszt and I know about his life and his compositions.  Wouldnt
it be a deeper and more rewarding discussion if you asked me where I
think that Liszts vanity and egotism shows in his music?  After all you
could learn about my subjective view of Liszt and then explain me your
subjective view of Liszt.  No one of us two has the objective view of
Liszt or any composer, I have my view and you have yours.  What we can
do is tell each other why we are thrilled by this piece of music and
bored by another.  But playing the expert doesnt help, does it?

Robert Peters