From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:49:40 -0700
Deryk Barker:

>Well I've lost count of my Eroicas - somewhere around 140 at a guess.
>I'm assuming the question means what it says, i.e.  quickest tempo, not
>shortest recording, in case the repeat is not observed.
>
>While I don't think I've heard them *all* I'd have to go for either
>Albert Coates (1926, no repeat but tuba audibly doubling the basses, in
>a holdover from the acoustic-era practice) or Hermann Scherchen (1958,
>with repeat) and probably, without relistening, go for the latter.

We have a winner...Albert Coates at 12 min 6 sec.  Amongst the longest,
Asahina with the New Japan Philharmonic at 21 min 3 sec. The Eroica page
http://www.grunin.com/eroica/intro.htm also includes first movement
comparisons at Beats Per Minute.  Coates at 170.93 and Asahina at 120.94
376 performances are in the survey.

So for me, the question is why...

Karl