From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:49:55 -0800
"Norman M.Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Simply because I've been listening to it recently, the trumpet concerto
>by Arutiunian.  Admittedly I aquired the disc, RCA/BMG 62661, because of
>the Hummel trumpet concerto in a performance I enjoyed hearing on FM.
>(I'm hoping the composer is still alive, b.1920, indicated on the disc's
>booklet dated 1994.)

Personal bit...  I played under the conductor on that disc (Luis Haza)
as a member of a Washington DC area youth orchestra for a several years.
Sandoval performed, I think (if I remember correctly), the premiere of the
Artunian concerto with us at the Kennedy Center a year or so before this
recording took place...  fun piece to play, and it was quite exciting to
hear it played just a couple feet away by Sandoval, its commissioner.

Maestro Haza got to conduct the LSO on this disc.  I haven't been keeping
up with what the (as it was called at the time) Northern Virginia Youth
Symphony/American Youth Philharmonic has been doing lately, but I wonder
where Mr. Haza's conducting career has taken him since then.

Albie