From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 07:54:28 -0700
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I may be wrong, but I think that Karajan used to insist on being called
>"Herr Generalmusikdirektor" or whatever the German equivalent is. Something
>like that.

That may very well be true.  But Karajan was a product of his age -- one
in which formality and 'respect' was much more important than it is today.
Even now, however, German culture embraces formality in personal addresses
-- the number of times I have introduced people as "Herr Dipl.  Ing." or
Herr Doktor Professor Direktor" are legion.

An interesting discussion, but let's not make the mistake of trying to
impose our own cultural standards, norms or aspirations on other --
completely different -- cultures.

Tim Mahon