From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:56:41 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>I seem to recall reading somewhere that EMI had spent 6 months' classical
>advertising budget on Standing Stone.  So othe things and people will
>suffer.

Do you really know that to be the effect? I can postulate a scenario
where the result would be quite different:  Sales of Standing Stone -
wasn't it the #1 classical recording on Billboard's charts? - provide
growth in classical sales which in turn expands the overall classical
budget at EMI, including $$$$ available to promote other recordings.
In addition there would be growth from expanding the classical market,
as non-classical fans crossed over due to McCartney's name on the CD,
with some of them continuing to explore other classical Cs.

OTOH, I suspect that this is a moot point, as I wouldn't think that the
cost of recording and promoting a McCartney CD would be taken from EMI's
classical budget in the first place, at least not from monies targeted
from their more standard classical fare.  But then I'm speculating.

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com/