From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 19:11:34 -0700
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>I have noted that some musics have the ability to keep it's core
>characteristics when diferent instruments are used to play them, and
>others are not.

I couldn't resist adding to this thread with a slight twist:  Identifying
almost-familiar pieces when they're played on unexpected instruments.
I once heard a lovely, lilting piece played on a concertina in a movie
set in France.  It not only sounded that perfect Gallic melody line-- it
also sounded hauntingly familiar.  The more I thought about it, the more
convinced I became that it was a classical piece I knew fairly well.  After
a lot of introspection and a certain amount of searching among my (at the
time) vinyl collection, I found the culprit:  it was the 3rd Movement of
the Beethoven piano sonata #17, Op 31 #2, known as The Tempest.  In
listening once again to the piano version (just now) I find it has much
more urgency that it did in the French film where it was played at a
slightly slower tempo and with a languid air.  Try it, those of you who
can, and see for yourselves if it doesn't sound Gallic if you imagine it
played that way.  And I think it would be interesting to hear of other
examples of this kind of transmutation!

Dave Wolf