From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 07:14:10 -0500
Gustav Styger wrote:

>I heard a curious work on the radio this morning: 9 Cadenzas by Brahms
>written for Piano Concertos by Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.  Idel Biret
>gave an impressive performance, but I was wondering if this piece is
>ever performed in a recital, i.e. as a stand-alone piece?

I have never encountered these performed outside of the context of the
concertos for which they were written...and I have only heard those for
the Beethoven 4th concerto in concert.  When I heard Brahms' cadenzas,
I could not help but wonder what the Beethoven 4th Concerto would have
been like if it had been written by Brahms...an odd notion, but listening
to the Brahms cadenzas, to my ears, they were more Brahms than Beethoven.

Karl