From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:39:59 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Roger Hecht wrote:
>
>>I'm very surprised at all the enthusiasm for Bohm, some of it from
>>people I've associated with HIP performances.
>
>I might be one of those people Roger is referring to. I can't really
>explain why I favor Bohm over HIP conductors except that Bohm delivers
>the weight I prefer in the work.  My HIP rigidity only applies to Baroque
>music, and even then, not to solo instrumental works.

I guess that's true if I think of it.  Not that I was making any
accusations, as if any were warrented.  I was just surprised, but you
know that.

>>It's an old fashioned, large scale, massive, thick performance.
>
>That it is, and that's the way I like it.  I also prefer Bohm in Mozart's
>clarinet concerto and the Flute and Harp concerto.  They can be found on a
>DG disc.  Bohm was simply an outstanding Mozart conductor.

I guess you just answered your above question about why you like his
Requiem.  It sure is the reason I like it.

It's odd about Bohm's Mozart.  So many people don't associate him with
Mozart--at least that's always been my impression--yet so many others see
him for the great Mozartian he was.  I have all his symphonies, and the two
recordings Don mentions above are terrific.  And the rest of those Mozart
wind concertos are no tailenders either.  And what a Magic Flute and Cosi
fan Tutte (the EMI with Schwarzkopf and Ludwig).

Roger Hecht