Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 22:18:57 GMT
I seem to recall hearing a live performance of the A major on a concert
broadcast series on WQXR about 10 years back, a week before another concert
with a quartet by Boris Liatoshinsky in the same series.  (Despite Liato's
rather conservative symphonies, by the way, his quartets are .out there.
- think of Miaskovski's op.  33 no.  1, say, as a point of reference- the
only one of his symphonies, I'd say, to be anything like his quartet output
is his 4th.  There were LPs of some of the quartets once and I definitely
advise looking for them.  Back to Weigl...) There have been recordings
on LP and CD of Weigl's quartets before- a Sony CD of the c minor, for
instance- if I remember correctly.  Memory also suggests that the A major
had an early-Zemlinskian (as you suggest) late-Romantic touch to it.

amazon.com suggests the c minor is on an Indiana University CD.  Berkshire
has a song recital with at least one lied by Weigl on it.  As to LPs, the
7th quartet was on a Serenus LP (there's a label that will bring back
memories for some); this label had another LP (SRS 12062) as well, with
the Three songs for contralto and string quartet...  a recital of works by
Weigl with the G major 5th quartet op.  31 filled a Composers Recording LP,
and the op.  4 A major was on an Orfeo CD (and may be still) with Berg's
two quartets.  A Stolat LP also had this quartet.  An Orion LP had two
sonatas.  Serenus SRS 12072 has piano music by Rudhyar and Weigl.  The 6th
quartet (C, op.  37) appeared on a '50s Triad LP.

There is at least one symphony (E major, op. 5, pub. 1911) but I do not
know of any recordings.  Wish I could be more help; certainly I liked what
I heard, on the radio some ten years ago.  Lots of lieder, 6 or did I say
7 (+?) quartets, sonatas, chamber music, at least one symphony if not more,
in a style that I have always liked.  .I.'ll keep an eyeear-out...

-Eric Schissel