From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:56:06 -0500
Before this subject strays far from my original post, a comment or two in
response to some posts that were sent to me privately.

The school in question is General Vanier, in south Ottawa.  The program
must be in operation elsewhere in Canada at least, as it appears to be
commercially available from a publisher in British Columbia.

This Brummitt-Taylor Music Listening Program involves many (20?) CDs
which are used over about 5 years before it runs out and must be begun
again.  In short, someone's done some research, laid out a sequence of
appropriately-graded texts in a booklet, and mapped them out corresponding
to the tracks on each CD.  The package is apparently available for about
Can $400, or the equivalent of around 50 Naxos CDs.

Again, the idea appears simply to be providing CM exposure to school-age
students.  A measure to counter the elimination of music classes in
financially-strapped schools.  As the students are mostly new Canadians,
it's presumed that they might not have radios at home.

Reckoned over the years of use a school might get out of it, this program
must cost all of a few pennies per student.  As Don Satz suggested, there's
no necessity, utility or discernible cost-benefit advantage to such a
program ...though most of us I think would agree with him that, even so,
such exposure is to those students' immense advantage.

My information comes from calling the school's Principal.  More appears
to be available through the program's publisher, at:

   http://www.ttimbers.com/brummitt.htm

I don't work for them, nor will I profit in any way if their sales improve.
All the same, I'm glad to spread the word, and do hope they prosper.

Bert Bailey