From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:41:22 +1100
Karl Miller recommended:

>4-Slovak, Ormandy (yes, Ormandy), ...

For years, Ormandy's was the only available version and it still sounds
terrific.  It's coupled with Ormandy's version of the 10th, which is worth
anyone's time.  Ormandy still suffers from all those greatest hits records,
hence Karl's aside, and IMHO, he was a hell of a lot better conductor than
his reputation would suggest.  As an example, I also offer in evidence,
m'lud, his Rachmaninov 1st (the first non-Soviet recording, IIRC) which
could still do fifteen rounds with more recent contenders.

>7-Ancerl, Bernstein

The Ancerl is still great, if you can find it (on Supraphon) and if mono
doesn't worry you.  I still have the 2-LP set of it and Side 2, on my
timing, runs 10:11, which I think is the shortest 12" LP side I have.
I assume Karl refers to the Bernstein on Sony.  I also very much like
his later DG version (for some reason, with the Chicago SO) which is slow
enough to need 2 CDs (coupled with #1) but is nonetheless very powerful.
I don't think Ancerl's version of the 10th has ever made it to CD but I
wish it would, and that's not just for nostalgic reasons.

Richard Pennycuick