From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:48:34 -0700
Bob Yoon wrote:

>I'm looking at getting Bruckner 7th and 8th and I'm considering Celi's
>recordings.  Currently, I have Steinberg and Knabbersbutch and I hate them
>both.  I heard Barenboim and the CSO doing the 8th live and I loved it.
>Unfortunately, this recording is no longer available.  Only his Berlin one
>is available.  How do these compare? Could anyone provide insight on the
>Celi recordings? And does anyone have any other recommendations?

Walter on Sony in 7th, Horenstein on BBC Legends in the 8th.  In the case
of the latter I simply have never heard a greater Bruckner 8th than this.
Celi's Bruckner is often extremely slow, glacially so in the 7th and hardly
representative.

You really ought to hear Furtwangler too, by the way.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.