From:
Fred Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:57:48 EST
Deryk Barker said:

>Also, that's a Latin plural, whereas the island of Naxos is Greek.  If
>Naxos is masculine the plural would be Naxoi, if it's neuter the plural
>would be Naxa (IIRC, my Greek is pretty ancient).

And Dave added:

>[I prefer the computer approach: Naxen.  -Dave]

Then Robin Mitchell-Boyask pontificated:

>I can pull rank here: my full sig file lists me as Chair and
>Associate Professor of Classics.  I'd suggest turning Naxos into
>an adjective (since we're talking about a label designating a recording).
>We'll then take the neuter plural (on the grounds that the closest one
>gets to recordings in ancient Greek are books, biblia), and,
>drum roll please, the result is Naxia.

And Dave emphasized:

>[Naxen, I tell you, Naxen.  If anyone's going to pull rank here...:-)

You may be making this too difficult; Naxos is of course the plural
(Cf. plural: Asparagus; singular: Asparagu).

The use here is proper.  Very few (on this list at least) own just one
Naxo ...

Fred Fry

 [It's settled then.  Naxen it is...  -Dave (the Republican)]