From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:29:33 -0700
Steve Schwartz writes:

>People complain about composers who make too much money, as if we can't get
>out of our heads the picture of the pure-souled artist, the Muse's acolyte,
>starving in his garret.  We conveniently forget about Beethoven, Brahms,
>Verdi, Wagner, Puccini, and Richard Strauss.

This set me thinking.  Of the six composers cited by Steve, four
concentrated mainly on opera.  I wonder if, historically, opera composers
have tended to make more money from their music than symphonic composers?
Perhaps they tend to be better businessmen!

Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
California, USA