From:
Eric Willstaedt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:45:53 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>The real reason classical music is viewed as "dying" is due to
>lack of funding.  If there was more government support (fiscally
>and culturally), classical music could flourish and be more accessible
>as Karl pointed out it has been in the past.  Young composers (They
>are there.  I know them and was one) are not able to make a viable
>living from these pursuits (I know many talented musicians who
>transitioned into careers in computers).  Those who might become
>composers can't perceive it as a potential life style.

This has been an on going problem since the advent of free lance
classical artists in the 19th C, nothing new there.  You can take your
cottage industry with all the problems and apply it to young writers
as well.  Financial support comes up short because of popularity, not
quality, and then you have to define quality which is in the ear or the
heart of the beholder...

How much has everyone here supported in a major financial way the arts
or classical music in general.  Find a starving artist and support them
and get them heard, give them a wider audience, be their friend via the
green backs....  pay pal and cheques accepted.

Eric