From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 06:59:23 PDT
Anyone familiar with Ades work? A few months ago, I read a favorable review
in Fanfare of "Powder Her Face." Being reluctant to spend full price for a
CD of a composer I do not know, I held off.  Then, I bought a copy of Ades
EMI Debut CD, the one containing "Living Toys." After two listenings, I
don't really like "Living Toys." It sounds like Carter and the Second
Viennese school to me, although I guess that is probably because I don't
understand it.  I'll listen a few more times to it to see if my opinion
changes.  I do like the Arcadiana for String Quartet and the Sonata da
Caccia.

BMG has "Powder Her Face" as a clearance item for $11-12.  I was wondering
if I should get it, even though I am not sure if I like Ades music,
especially if it is like "Living Toys."

Any thoughts?

Thanks, as always

Ron Chaplin