From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:46:44 +0100
In the discussion of "Great Tunes," I have been rather surprised not
to see any mention of those truly wonderful tunes written by British
composers.  The theme from "Jupiter," for example, or from Elgar's Pomp
and Circumstance.  But then I got to thinking: may it not be that we use
the term "tune" when discussing "popular" music (Steve's irritatingly
memorable Itsy bitsy teeny weeny) and prefer to talk of melody when
discussing CM.  I think nobody would deny that there are some truly great
melodies out there - Air on a G String, Nimrod, And who shall abide the day
of His coming, and more than I can quote here - but do we think of them as
"tunes"? I don't think so.

So what is the distinction between a great "tune" and a great "melody"?
Knowing that it is always dangerous on this list to offer an example, I
will nevertheless take my fate into my own hands with this one from
"Carmen". To me Escamillio's Toreador Song is a great tune; Don Jose's
Flower Song is a great melody.

OK - now shoot me down.

Jonathan