From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:20:36 -0700
I know a couple of versions but certainly there are a good 60 or so
available.  Mozart Syms 40/41 is a very very common coupling.

Liked the Beecham I heard, sort of "authentic" sounding, old recording
though IIRC.

Liked the Fricsay OK, for #41.  I think its on DG.

Remember liking the Marriner 41, but don't recall well.  Don't know if its
the EMI Red Line now available (he's made several recordings as you can
imagine), rather think it was an old ASMITF Lp.

I DID NOT like the 40 with Dennis Russel Davies/Stuttgart RSO on the ECM
2CD set.  Its an add-on coupled with some piano concertos & Masonic Funeral
Music (which I thought was quite good).  His tempos in 40 are all wrong
IMHO.  If you play the 1st movt too slowly you lose the whole thing.  Love
to hear other opinions if anyone knows this one.

Not sure if I've even heard a Karajan.  I usually like him better for
post-Mozartian music, but he might be suited to 40? Anyone?

My fave to date, believe it or not, is an old old RCA CD of Levine/Chicago
SO.  Once I got used to his tempo in the opening of 40 I found all others
lacking in motion, although I know that part of that is acclimation.
Sometimes you just get used to one.  Makes me wonder if he'll ever give
up the Met and get back to, well...

Happy Hunting,

Bob K.