From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:48:27 -0400
Peter Goldstein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A few weeks ago there was a posting about a remastered Kondrashin
>Shostakovich cycle available in Japan.  To those still interested in the
>earlier release at a reasonable price, it's available on a French website
>(www.alapage.com) for about $60, which includes shipping to the USA.

I obtained and listened to the 4th, which was the only symphony in the
set I was interested in.  Personally, I felt it lacked the intensity in the
cri de couer and the despair and cohesion in the long drawn out coda of the
finale that I have found satisfying in the Haitink.  Others may disagree.

John Dalmas