From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 14:08:57 PDT
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Now, if the cover art were actually related to the music, it might be
>ok, but Alfred Brendel's mug on an album cover does little to fire me
>up for Beethoven.  And those awful pics of Murray Perahia on the Sony
>Mozart cds....eeeeeeek!

I agree with Kevin concerning the Brendel and Perahia covers; only
attractive individuals should be on record covers.  But then, a person
attractive to me might well be disgusting looking to another.  Record
companies seem to be confident that a "mug" on the cover is a good selling
point, particularly if the artist is well known.  Even the young Daniel
Harding had his photograph on his new Beethoven overtures disc from Virgin
Classics.  What I don't quite understand is why these photographs are not
usually taken with attractive back-drops like a scene of the Grand Canyon.
Brendel could be sitting in a helicopter over the Grand Canyon waving to
the disc buyers.  Better yet, a photograph of Brendel doing a free-fall
into the Canyon would likely increase sales two-fold.  I'd buy it even if
the content was TL (Total Liszt).

Don Satz