From:
Mike Logsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:24:35 -0800
Hello, all.  As for introduction, allow me to pose a couple rare recording
research questions:

1) In the liner notes for Dutton Labs' digital reissue of Sargent's
famous 1947 Columbia recording of "Elijah" (2CDAX 2004), the following
appears: "The pioneering recording of the work which followed in 1930
was conducted, not by Sargent, but by Stanford Robinson (Columbia DB49-63):
although considerably cut and necessitating some swift tempi through being
recorded on 10-inch discs rather than 12-inch, it did have the benefit of
outstanding soprano and bass-baritone soloists in Isobel Baillie and Harold
Williams." I'd give my eye teeth for this recording of "Elijah" -- is there
anyone out there who has it, and could possibly let me remunerate for a
copy of it either on CD or chrome tape?

2) And now a really strange one.  I recently picked up at a thrift shop
(for one whole dollar) a two-LP issue of Beethoven's "Missa Solemnis" by
"The Cathedral Choir and Symphony Orchestra" on the "Gramophone" label
(20162/3; "Made in U.S.A.").  All the obvious earmarks of a low-budget
generic release, mid- to late-1950s.  The sort of thing one doesn't really
expect much from.  But it was virtually mint, and I had a dollar.  The
recording quality is as low-budget as I indeed expected, and the
performance is so-so.  But here's the kicker: it's a LIVE performance.
At first I wasn't sure, but during the beginning of the Sanctus I almost
couldn't believe my ears when I realised I was hearing chairs creaking,
feet shuffling, and the occasional cough Victor Borge used to practice
power of suggestion with.  Not uncommon in a live performance, to be
sure, but how often does one come across such an obvious live performance
on a cheap, generic, 1950s LP, which are usually flat, studio recording
castoffs? Can anyone shed some light on this fascinating find of mine? Who
was "The Cathedral Choir and Symphony Orchestra"? What, if anything, was
the "Gramophone" label? When and where was it recorded? (The "how?" seems
clear enough; the ambient background noise sounds like just exactly what a
1950s-ish reel-to-reel tape machine would pick up.) I plan on transferring
it to CD soon, so if anyone would like to hear it, just let me know.
(Don't everyone raise their hands, please!), Etc,

M J "Mike" Logsdon
Salinas, CA
USA