From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:57:47 -0800
Fabio writes ..

>Hi, I would like to know what do you think about the general view on
>classical music and musicians by the common man and woman, <snip>
>I would like to find a way to spread the interest on classical music

Classical music is a good example of the old adage "Pride cometh before
a fall"

It (CM) seems to pride itself as an elitist activity and makes little
effort to promote itself and expand its base.  Thus, the shutting down
of many orchestras and many unemployed graduates of music schools.  It
is following in the footsteps of the Latin language and like Latin it
will always be around..

Night at the Opera and some Beatle stuff (esp.  the collage on the back
side of Abbey Road) as well as Boston, whose guitar riffs blend together
in a CM way to my ear prove that the Pop form could be treated in a CM
way.

One could easily write a string quartet piece using electric guitars.
The main problem in the fusion, is the drums.  Drums are here to stay
and CM doesn't typically employ a continuous drum beat though is often
employs drums.

A good example of a CM/Rock fusion is a song called "Jessica" by the
Allman Brothers.  Its all instrumental, there are primary and secondary
themes with an exciting piano break (which would serve as a development
section if the riffs had been based on parts of the theme) embedded in
an ABA form, and with a continuous drum beat.  For me its right up there
with CM to the point that I transcribed it to piano and play it as a
rhapsody ala Liszt.

But for a society that thrives on excitement some CM appears dull.  The
public needs to be exposed to CM in the right order, say, Ride of the
Valkyries, B's 5th, etc.There is a lot of exciting CM around but as I
began CM has no established mechanisms for promoting itself.  That's the
main problem.  And with the massive superstructure surrounding it, that's
surprising.

If this thread turns into a legitimate discussion of this subject, I
will dig up my 10 point plan for popularizing CM and build a website.
But that's a lot of work if no one is really interested in expanding the
CM base.  I might even start a discussion group for unemployed graduates
of music schools:-)

Bill Pirkle
Personal Artist page http://www.pirkle-websites.com/pirkle