From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:08:29 -0500
As a followup to the Bach and Vivaldi discussion, in which Don Satz clearly
articulated his thoughts about the differences in their appeal--or lack of
it for some--I wonder if anyone has such strong thoughts on the subject of
Telemann.  At a conference, once, I heard Peter Kivy reiterate a thought
expressed in one of his books, that he could "prove" that Bach was the
greater of the two German Baroque composers.  Without getting into proofs
of greatness, does anyone find that their taste for Bach makes Telemann
unappetizing? (To tip my own hand, I find all three of these composers
satisfying in different ways.)

Jim Tobin