From:
Bob Yoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:00:50 PDT
I find that Haydn's humor only gets to me in live performances.  Once, I
took a couple of my friends to see Rattle conduct Haydn's 90th with Boston
SO.  He really drove home the fake endings after the exposition and the
development, respectively, and caused the audience to applaud prematurely
both times.  I was in stitches.  Rattle even turned around to wink at the
audience before continuing with the recapitulation.  During high school,
I found Charles Ives to be quite humorous.  Along with Porkofiev and
Shostakovich.

Bob Yoon