From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:16:50 -0000
I think the Victory nickname came much later when V for Victory was used
as the call sign in radio transmissions to the resistance during the Second
World War.  I have some sheet music titled as "The Victory Symphony The
famous Victory movement from Beethoven's 5th Symphony arranged as piano
solo." priced 1/6 (one shilling and sixpence).  It was published by W.
Paxton & co Ltd part of "Paxton's marvellous economy edition of music for
pianoforte the best and cheapest edtion of music in the world".  The title
page has a large V with a drawing of Beethoven's head on it.

Tim Horwood