From:
Rick Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:32:55 +0000
At 03:53 PM 10/28/96 +0000, you wrote:
>  REGARDING           RE>Bee Space and Apistan Strips
>
>Tim Sterrett wrote:
>>I just removed Apistan strips from seven colonies.  In every case, the
>tops of the strips were glued (with propolis) to the top bars of the wooden
>frames and the strips were glued where they passed down between the top bars.
> But (with one exception out of fourteen strips) the part of the strip
>between the faces of the wax combs was clean of wax and propolis.
>    Why don't the bees work on the strips between the frames?<
>
>Removal of Apistan is an interesting problem.  I, too, notice that the strips
>are firmly stuck in place to the top bars with propolis.  Unlike Tim's
>experience, however, I noticed that in the upper brood chamber (but never the
>lower), where much fall honey had been stored since the strips were put in
>place, in the majority of cases the bees had firmly bound the upper third of
>the strips to the adjoining comb.  This was often done on both sides of the
>strip, making it necessary to slide the hive tool down on both sides also to
>loosen it enough for removal.
>
>This makes me wonder.  With what we're hearing about fluvalinate getting into
>beeswax, now the reason is becoming very obvious to me: it might transfer
>directly from burr comb contact with the Apistan strip.
>
>Ted Fischer
>Dexter, MI, USA

I have had a different experience.  In the spring I have noticed that the
area directly under the apistan strips are often depressed or worn down
compared to the comb surrounding it.  This fall most of the tops of the
strips were glued down, but I can't speak for the comb between frames since
the weather during the time I was removing the strips was not conducive to a
detailed examination of the hive.

Rick Grossman
Newberg, Oregon, USA