From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:57:24 EST
This issue of colonies stronger if fed protein without fumagillin, only use
if needed - could be explained by one of the first comments to me by Dr.
Robert  Cramer at MSU.

He's a fungal pathologist in the molecular veterinary labs in Bozeman, has
been working on alternatives to fumagillin - see Jan Bee Culture.

Robb was surprised that beekeepers used fumagillin.  He said that in
mammals, fumagillin is known to suppress the immune system, not something one  wants
to see when treating sick animals.  He didn't know if this applied to  bees -
I suggest that he not waste time confirming this, but to immediately  focus on
alternatives for Nosema control, which he did.

Jerry
**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.(http://www.aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000027)