From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:16:11 -0600
Hello All,
I have done many posts on BEE-L about migratory beekeeping. I do so many
times to give insight into the largely unknown world of migratory
beekeeping.
Today we are waiting for a semi load of bees out of almonds caught up in a
blizzard on interstate 80. We are in touch with the truck driver (a
professional bee trucker) by cell phone. 12-24 inches of snow and wind
blowing from 20-40 MPH. White out conditions with thunder snow.

I 80 is closed behind him and in front of him.

In Kansas City we are making plans to unload the truck as soon as he
arrives.

You can read of our problems loading a semi in a Missouri snowstorm in the
April 2004 issue of the American Bee Journal.

 Predicted is a similar storm for our area.

The only thing which will stop the progress of our east bound load will be a
closed road. Otherwise the load will keep moving using chains on both drive
axles. Once the load arrives regardless of the storm we will begin
unloading. Cold rain, freezing rain or foot of snow. The driver needs to get
back on the road to California for another load of bees.

Out of state beekeepers earn every penny of their California pollination
fees.

California beekeepers are overpaid in my opinion  if one considers the cost
and risk involved with bringing bees from far away areas.

I am packed and the truck fueled in case we need to make a trip north to
handle a bee truck wreck on snow packed roads. I never heard of an
overturned bee truck in winter but always can happen.

I have driven loads of bees in bad weather. Not fun. Once in a snow/ice
storm without brakes. We were coming back from Texas in a snowstorm and when
we thought the worse was over the brakes went out. Because we were alone on
the road and close to home (with more snow predicted) we limped home using
the emergency brake.

Bob