From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:48:15 -0400
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]> wrote in a submission titled
Subject: Re: From sci.agriculture.beekeeping:

> The IOW disease turns out to be one of the viruses which are propagated
> rather well by varroa, I think it is now thought to be the Slow
> Paralysis Virus which caused it. Acarine may well have been the
> stimulus.

I'm a bit confused by this.  My interpretation is that James is saying that
IOW disease endemic in Britian in the 1920s may have been vectored by
acarine but now is believed to be the Slow
Paralysis Virus (SPV) which is being spread by varroa.  Actually, I'm not
sure what is being said.  Perhaps that SPV has always been around, acarine
vectored the outbreak in the '20s and that varroa is a more efficient vector
today?  James, if you will, please set me straight.  I have not read Beowulf
Cooper's writings.

Having read some of Brother Adam's writings I thought Britain's bee
populations were left quite devastated by IOW disease and Brother Adam
searched Europe, Northern Africa and the Middle East for genetic material to
breed with the survivors.  Does Mr. Cooper assert that perhaps things would
have been better off without Borther Adam's importation of genetic material?
Admittedly I am not up to snuff on BIBBA's (Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders
Association) stance on the issue.  I think one of their goals is to
reestablish the native dark bee.  Is the intent to "filter out mongrel
genes" or to select from existing stock the characteristics that are most
desireable while concentrating towards those attributed to the native dark
bee?  Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Aaron Morris